07 November 2011

DOWNTON ABBEY FASHION



To give cheers to one of my favorite television show's spectacular second Season Finale and the news of a third Season, I've decided to blog about Downton Abbey's fabulous fashion sense. Honestly, I've been meaning to do this for some time but since I've decided to take the week off in outfit posts (and thats not completely decided yet, there maybe be one or two) it seemed like a good week to do so. 

I'm so inspired and in awe of the costuming of this show. The gowns are gorgeous; like a Mrs. Dalloway  dream. Seldom do we see television or film venture into the life and fashions of the turn of the 20th century, so I find it particularly fascinating that this show seems to come at a time when fashion's been so inspired by that same era, or whereabouts.

I've taken some screen shots from this season's episodes. Although I love all the ladies fashion, I'm completely partial to Lady Mary. I know the show is tipped in her focus since so much of the major plot lines involve her or completely rely on her imminent marriage and her love affairs.  

She may not be the most loved character, but she is so 3 dimensional. And she inhabits the English stoicism so perfectly, as you can see by her facial expressions in practically every still I took. 










I absolutely adore the color choices of her outfits; deep blues, wines, and creams. Her hats are exquisite; I only wish I could pull off hats like this. The large collars that are almost reminiscent of a sailor's uniform accentuate her feminine shoulders and pearly skin. Although I'm not a fan of the long skirts, they're just not something someone as short as me can pull off as well, I still long the elongating quality they create.


That being said, I cannot wait for the third season!


*     *     *     *     *


And if you haven't already, you should check out this awesome "video" I made of my latest outfit. 

Enjoy! 


Rachel Beth

No comments :

Post a Comment