08 November 2011

DOLLS, DOLLS, DOLLS

Image


Last night, I was mind numbingly surfing through the internet while semi-watching my favorite guilty pleasure television shows. I've never really explored the photo world of flickr, although I've definitely had some experiences with it (looking for images for different things). Since stumbleupon wasn't really peaking any of my interests, and to be honest, stumbling can get quite boring, I decided to search through interesting pictures on flickr.

I just put in something really vague like, "fashion". I came across a lot of interesting photos, some retro fashion advertisements, or perfectly "candid" retro pictures of women laughing together in big hats. You know, the kind that are almost cliche at this point. But what I found particularly fascinating were the amount of photos of dolls. I mean, fashion pictures of dolls; or well, Barbie dolls.

I was never a doll collector as a child, although I loved my Barbies. Obviously I know these Barbie doll collectors do exist - Mattell is still creating dolls "specifically" for the collector. But these pictures are almost like fashion shots, just using dolls.

I don't know what it is about these pictures that I'm so drawn to. How life like some of the photos look and yet how it's painfully obvious that they are dolls; or maybe it's the poses. Or that it says something about the limits fashion advertisements and fashion photography really place on human beings and society as a whole. That all models are are just living, breathing, dolls.

You know, the same dolls you played with when you were little. Forcing all your hopes and dreams and imagination and real life scenarios onto. Just some fashion house is putting that onto a living doll, and selling those desires, that lifestyle, back to you.

I'd like to explore this idea more. Until then, enjoy the pictures.


RB.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

No comments :

Post a Comment