29 November 2011

MAGAZINES, MAGAZINES, MAGAZINES PART ONE


Okay, so maybe the title of this post isn't completely correct or apt, since I'm really only blogging about Vogue Magazine for the past 3 months. I don't know if I've already mentioned this, but I'll mention it again. The Vogue Gods/Goddesses or Demons/Devils (whichever you prefer, considering your personal opinions on fashion's most read and possibly respected publication) decided to send me free (and I mean I didn't pay for these) issues for the past, oh I dunno, 8 months? I don't know who is sending these to me,  or someone in my family (there are no names on the magazines) but thank you. It has given me a lot to blog about!

I'm not much of a magazine reader, and as you can tell, it's taken me quite some time to catch up with recent issues. But I've got to say, flipping through these glossies really got me interested. There were so many awesome and intriguing articles as well as editorials that here I am to send some love Vogue's way.


OCTOBER 2011 EDITORIALS:


My favorite editorial from October was, "A WINTER'S PALE".  I'm constantly, and I mean constantly, trying to bring in more pale and pastel colors into my wardrobe. Although I don't think of myself or categorize my  sense of style as "goth", I tend to attract toward the darker color palate. I suppose it may have something to do with my darker coloring; a dark hair color and dark eyes like mine are quite hard to imagine decked out in all beige but I think the stark contrast is fine. 


 

What I love most about how Peter Lindbergh shot these photos is the photog quality they have. Every picture seems to be a stolen moment; an invasion of the couple/models privacy. I like how that invasive quality emphasizes the glamour of the clothing. Like we're getting a look into this highly glamourous person/couple's life that could be quite scandalous. 


It also gives the sense of effortless beauty and glamour. The models hair is wild in the wind; which only adds to her beauty and mystery.

NOVEMBER 2011 EDITORIALS

 

I have two favorite editorials from the November 2011 issue. It's quite funny actually. I think a lot of how a magazine sells itself is by the cover girl and cover story. I don't have anything against Rooney Mara, but I'm not really a "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" fanatic, so I wasn't really interested in reading a cover story about an actress who is staring in the American movie version of the popular book. I had decided then, since the cover didn't really appeal to me (and I mean story, the picture is gorgeous), I wasn't even going to thumb the pages of the massive amounts of ads. However, I'm glad I gave it a second change, otherwise I would have missed out on these two gorgeous editorials. The first being, "CALL IN THE CAVALRY", which is inspired by the acclaimmed play War Horse and WWI fashion.



I am absolutely in love with the Edwardian era of fashion and it's resurrection as an inspiration for designers today. I think this editorial does a fantastic job showing the sometimes unnoticed elegance that military fashion and utility has.



I can't help but love the overall androgyny of this editorial either. I'm so into the menswear trend, that I'm over my head. It's unfortunate that the gender roles wrapped up in a mens suit can display so much power, but so it is. I just love to see that power and aggression put on the curves of the female frame. Again, the contrast is strikingly gorgeous.



I swear, Virginia Woolf is popping up more and more these days. (You'll understand that comment more tomorrow).  "SWEPT AWAY" has to be inspired by Woolf's To the Lighthouse. The perfectly Edwardian inspired clothing that is pictured by the sea with the overarching motherly theme is so much To the Lighthouse it's practically driving me insane with Woolf-ian delight.



Not to mention the boater hats are reminiscent and not so reminiscent (The boater on the cover picture is in fact Chanel) of the boater's that made Chanel famous. I only wish boater's were something that I could appreciate in my wardrobe. 



DECEMBER 2011 EDITORIALS:


"THE CULT OF BEAUTY" is an editorial I've practically be waiting for. As an English major, I've learned quite a lot about artistic movements and how they've influenced different poets, writers, etc. I've got to say I'm obsessed with the beauty of the Pre Raphaelite movement of the 19TH Century. These pictures are completely gorgeous in a fantastical and artistic manner. It's completely evident that what the photographer wants to highlight is the fantasy of the movement, especially by the model's bright orange hair.



Just to give you an idea of my love for everything Pre Raphaelite, I wrote one of my final English paper's on Christina Rossetti's divine poem "Echo":

Come to me in the silence of the night; 
        Come in the speaking silence of a dream; 
    Come with soft rounded cheeks and eyes as bright 
        As sunlight on a stream; 
            Come back in tears, 
O memory, hope and love of finished years.


    O dream how sweet, too sweet, too bitter sweet, 
        Whose wakening should have been in Paradise, 
    Where souls brimfull of love abide and meet; 
        Where thirsting longing eyes 
            Watch the slow door 
That opening, letting in, lets out no more.


    Yet come to me in dreams, that I may live 
        My very life again tho' cold in death: 
    Come back to me in dreams, that I may give 
        Pulse for pulse, breath for breath: 
            Speak low, lean low, 
    As long ago, my love, how long ago.




More on the articles tomorrow.

Rachel

Images from Vogue Magazine, taken by me.

No comments :

Post a Comment