30 November 2011

MAGAZINES, MAGAZINES, MAGAZINES PART TWO


Usually what turns me on and gets me flipping the pages of a magazine are the articles inside. Yes, the pictures are fabulous but only take a second to enjoy. If the articles are lacking in subject, the magazine is just a lookbook to me. I was pleasantly surprised by the articles in all three of the last issues of Vogue Magazine.


OCTOBER 2011 ARTICLES:


It seems like nowadays all fashion magazines rely heavily on their cover model and story, which generally, almost always (and I'm saying this because the three issues I'm talking about are all stories about actresses and their upcoming films) are about an actress and her life and upcoming film. It would be interesting if magazines shied away from this concept once in a while, but nevertheless, "MY WEEK WITH MICHELLE" was a fantastic read.

Not only were the Leibovitz photos fantastically gorgeous, capturing a sincerity and vulnerability in Michelle and "Marilyn" (two of which are already displayed on the walls in my bedroom because they are just divine) but the article itself seems to capture the same thing. It's a perfect blending of Michelle playing Marilyn and exposing how parts of Marilyn's personality already reside in Michelle.


I was completely intrigued by Elizabeth Rubin's piece "THE CONNECTOR", which details the life of Arianna Huffington. I was originally drawn into the article simply because of who it was about. I am constantly reading The Huffington Post, and yes as the article states, I am one of The New York Times converts. Yet, I know nothing about the mysterious puppet master of the major website, Arianna Huffington.

When I read the article, what mostly popped out to me was this statement by Rubin: "Her (Arianna) life's journey is now the stuff of Greek myth, chronicled by every major magazine and by her own pen." And although the article was incredibly interesting, it almost left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. It would appear that Rubin is trying to, with the help of quotes from Arianna's friends, and her own daughters, present Arianna Huffington as the voice of the unheard, the trailblazer of the middle class and the anti-corporate America. 

What's truly surprising to me are the little things that made me actually dislike Arianna Huffington more, and illuminate her own corporate mentality. "Pay editors well, bloggers nothing, reporters OK, citizen journalists nothing, aggregate and give a voice to everyone" and then pocket the money her self and build her empire under the guise of "the voice of the people". 

The article really tries to stress how Arianna Huffington is out to educate the public about how the American Dream is broken, lost, forgotten, dead because of the government we have now. What she fails to realize, is that she is contributing to that very problem.


OCTOBER 2011 ARTICLES:


I would never scoff at an excerpt from a book, ever. So of course I was seriously interested in reading the excerpt from Diane Keaton's new memoir Then Again. I absolutely adore this fresh approach to a memoir, Keaton narrating herself, cut in with diary entries of her mothers. 

From what I can tell, these entries seamlessly weave in and out of the larger picture, Keaton's desire to be on stage. The excerpt is painfully vulnerable, outlining Keaton's hunger for attention, stardom, and love. I believe this hunger is something most actors/actresses feel but are unwilling to admit or accept. Keaton's vulnerability is refreshing and has gained a new found respect from me, and a desire to read the entire memoir.


DECEMBER 2011 ARTICLES


I told you Virginia Woolf was popping up everywhere! It seems like ever since I mentioned Between The Acts the other day, I just keep getting more and more Woolf popping up in my life. It's as if the ghost herself is trying to tell me something, or I'm just completely susceptible to any inclination of something being related to Woolf because I'm completely in love and in awe of her work.

So naturally I'm drawn to "THE NAMESAKE" nostalgia article. And quite honestly, the article pinned me down for exactly every other annoying lit head who approached Virginia Nicholson and her family, because of her relation to Woolf. The article was lighthearted, and exposed the difficulties of being related to someone who is a genius in anything. But it really just relieved me of my Woolfian urge. 


Oh, Downton Abbey, how I adore you wholeheartedly and unabashedly. And apparently, just like every other person on the planet. Although this article focuses mostly on the beauty of the three Crawley sisters, and less on the show itself, anything Downton is anything I'm willing to spend 10 minutes speed reading. The article doesn't say anything particularly new about how to emphasize your own natural beauty, but it does give slight insight into the show. If you couldn't already tell that I'm literally obsessed with this show, not only for its amazing plot lines and acting, but it's gorgeous attention to Edwardian fashion, then let me explain it to you now. I'm obsessed.

So I say to you, Vogue Magazine: Keep up the good work.


*        *         *        *        *        *


In other news, I'm leaving this evening for New York City! I'm so excited! I'll be sure to blog while I'm there, or at least update my twitter like crazy. Stay in touch!


Rachel

Images from Vogue Magazine, taken by me.

No comments :

Post a Comment